I want to voice the struggles that teenagers are facing.
I desire to answer questions that parents are asking.
I want to challenge some Christians to stop talking about their faith and start living it out.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

When I was growing up, there used to be a commercial for Klondike Ice Cream that would ask the question, "What would you do for a Klondike Bar?" The ice cream was apparently so good that people would do anything just to eat that Klondike Bar. There would be people that would place their bodies in harmful, embarrassing, and awkward situations just to have this ice cream. I love Klondike Bars, but there are a whole lot of things that I would not do just for that ice cream.

Instead of ice cream, I want you to think about what you would do to inherit eternal life. There are people in this world that would give their life to kill others in order to win salvation. There are those who would help the needy to guarentee a spot in heaven. There are those who want to just sit back and do nothing but simply trust that Crhsit paid their way. There are some that believe in nothing and feel that if there is a heaven, we could never know; therefore, we have no eterenal destination. My answer to each of these responses is that there is a major lack of responsibility. They see no need to be responsible for the way we conuct our everyday lives, and there is no hope for an eternal home in heaven. Salvation is more than a decision.

Think about New Year's Resolutions. We all have made them..."I am going to lose weight"..."I am going to spend time reading God's Word"..."I am going to actually do my homework"..."I will never say never again (oops)"..."I am going to exercise." There are tons of decisions that people make on New Year's Eve that are good in their intentions, but they never become a reality. The reason is that a decision doesn't change you; your decision gives you the reason to change. If your decision is truly meaningful, you will probably fulfill that decision by changing.

God is not going to give the gift of salvation to someone who tries to work for it by killing people or doing good deeds. This would nullify the fact of it being a free gift. And yes, salvation does come by faith, but not dead faith. James tells us that faith without works is dead. Therefore, what would you do for salvation? Does your decision to trust Christ as Savior provoke you to live a changed life? A life that is holy and separated for God.

Klondike Bars are wonderful, but what would you do for eternal life?

No comments: