I want to voice the struggles that teenagers are facing.
I desire to answer questions that parents are asking.
I want to challenge some Christians to stop talking about their faith and start living it out.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Attacking the Family


Wow, it has been a long time since I have found time to blog...sorry. I have been busy because my wife's family was in town visiting with us. So, between my work that I had to do at the church and spending time with the family, I was running on fumes. We were able to get away for a couple of days and head to the beach. We had a wonderful time while they were here, and it is always tough to see them leave.

I understand that even though I am in ministry, I still must make time for my family. The family was God's first institution. Family is not a concept that was invented by Al Gore (laugh) or by anyone other than God. Because God put emphasis on marriage and family in the beginning, it must be something close and dear to God's heart.

What is America doing to promote family unity? A whole lot of nothing! If you watch TV, you will see exactly how America views family life. There are shows like Roseanne, that picture the American family as being a "war zone". There are shows like The Drew Carey Show, Friends, Dawson's Creek, and many others that portray family as an immoral lifestyle. Basically, these shows make family a relative issue (no pun intended). They say that if I am sleeping with this person then that is my family, but if it changes that new person becomes my family. The depressing part of TV is that cartoons have now become the vehicle through which the American family is portrayed. Shows like The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, and American Dad. These shows are filled with foul language, sexually explicit themes, violence, and mockery of God and families.

It is appalling to think that we care no more about our families than to use disfunctional families as a marketing ploy to make people laugh. Yes, there are many disfunctional families in America, but it only causes more when the TV promotes them as being comical. A teenager watching Family Guy may see Stewy cuss out his parents, so he begins to do that and to teach his little brother to do the same thing. What people watch on TV does influence the choices they make. In fact, if Benford Tools was a real brand of tools, I would buy them just because of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. As kids and parents watch TV that degrades families, they will begin to follow that pattern.

My question for you is, "How is your family?" No family is perfect, but you could have a good family relationship; or you could have a bad family atmosphere. The only thing that I would give as advice about families is this...You can never change problems of other people, but you must change the problems with yourself. Simply stated, don't focus on others problems; just fix your problems and see if that doesn't help fix the other problems. Remember, God gave you your family, love them.

No comments: